Thursday 20 July 2017

The Bubble of Mildura Writer’s Festival – A Poem



Choosing an elective subject at Latrobe University,

Has its own dilemma and particular urgency.

Perusing the list deciding Mildura Writer’s Festival will do,

Selecting it to get a quick 15 credit points accrued.

Ignorant about the subject one assumes it will be hard,

However, turn up and meet our lecturer Sue for a start.

Talking carefree she assures us we will have fun,

Listen to the authors and write about them in your own hum,

Mingle with people, write notes about what they say,

Eat Stephano’s delicate food and drink wine at the end of the day,

And so begins the emergence of the bubble,

Being in awe of the authors and writing about their trouble,

The first is Jason Porter, so humble and funny,

with a voice so soothing like hot milk and honey,

Meehan, Tiffany and McGinnis write of the Mallee’s surrounding landscape,

Passionate about memories of dusty towns, cattle stations and lakes,

A.S Patric a serious and good looking young man,

Tortured while writing; yet still encouraging others to withstand.

Peter Boyle so fascinating writing poetry from age fifteen,

Speaks Latin, Greek, and moves readers, young, old and in-between.

Stephen Edgar could be Boyle’s twin in age and poetic language too,

He likes to write of the natural world representing his experiences old or new.

Oh and what about Natalie Harkin, a national treasure we have here,

Winning the Tina Kane award for intentionally disruptive poems her meaning so clear.

Self-confessing slow writer Helen Garner a force on the stage,

Crushing on the grandson’s football coach, then reciting what is written on her page.

Eloquently spoken not a word out of place,

Is the petite Gail Jones who mesmerises all with her grace,

Les Murray our PM of poetry and frequent visitor to the region,

Is a witty fellow who we will claim as our very own adhesion,

The last is British born Judith Beveridge and her prose,

Who with a string of awards brings poems into our homes.

Oh bugger, I’ve realised I need to burst my intoxicating fizz,

Assignments are due, I have a family at home, food to buy for the husband and kids,

‘Pop’ my bubble is burst and reality rushes back to my brain,

Where I need to pour thoughts quickly onto my Mac fast as a train,

I realise now this subject is more than 15 points on my transcript,

Why didn’t anyone tell me it’s an awesome cultural experience, I will admit.

Shout it out to other Latrobe students, “come from afar, come from near,

You won’t want to miss out on what is going on here”.

The bubble is warm with much fun, wine and food,  

It’s an unbelievable experience, so inspiring is the mood,

And although I have no desire to write a book now and here,

Look at my poem, it’s a start so I had better come back next year.
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment